Tuesday, 17 January 2012

One week at school done!

Today is Tuesday, and we have been at school for a week. Time has gone slowly, but also extremely quickly when I look back at how much we have done.

Our house is becoming more homely everyday, as we add more photos and posters to our previously very bare walls! The students gave us some of their drawings to stick up. Our flat is actually quite big, which means there is a lot of wallspace to fill. Over the last few days we have gradually got our hands on various household essentials, after making various trips to shops and meeting some very generous teachers. Our cooking facilities include a kettle and gas hob, which is great as it allows us to make our own food if we dont fancy rice meals twice a day!

I can now explain the name of our school - 'MRSM Batu Pahat'. When you translate the full name into English it means 'MARA Junior Science College'. MARA is a government run organisation who have roughly 30 schools in Malaysia. The selection process highly favour the Malay (indiginous) children. After one week I have met two Chinese Malaysian children, and one Indian Malaysian, out of a school of approximately 500 students. The students school day starts at 6.30, and ends at 11pm. Even at weekends they must do their prep before bed. They tell me often how when they go home they just sleep for hours and hours to recharge their batteries! All the students here have been so nice to us, and fight for a space on our lunch table in the dining hall. When we ask a class if they want to ask us anything, the only two questions they ever ask are: 'What is your (relationship) status?' and 'Do you have facebook?' Classic.

I will post again soon. Its 4.10 and I need to nip to the post office before it closes. Our friend Zura works there, so its always nice to chat to someone outside of school. Then its our sport session from 5.30-6.30. I'm gonna be a pro tennis player by the time I return!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment