Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Chinese New Year, James the Gheko, and our first cockroach

Ok so it's been quite a while since I last posted - sorry! I have quite a lot to write about today.

Yesterday was our first day back at school after the Chinese New Year long weekend. We broke up on Friday, and caught a bus up to Seremban. One of the teachers insisted on giving us a sackful of KFC for the road... so along with our KFC I sat amongst various Chinese passengers with at least six bags balanced on their laps. The buses here are pretty good, although as soon as you turn off the main road the traffic is horrendous. In KL you have just stick to the LRT or you will sit at traffic lights for ten minutes a go.. Anyway. We arrived in Seremban and met two other volunteers at the bus station - which was great! A quick taxi ride took us to Tom Bryant's house (our friend who is working in a school too but through another organisation). He lives with another two PT volunteers - who were luckily away for the weekend and we could steal their beds! They have just got a kitten (Toby) which they found in their street recently. He/she (they're not sure of the sex!!) is mega cute and enjoyed hours of running after christmas tree decorations. After a quick 'pre-lash' (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lash) we went to a local bar called Sportivo's. It was great to have a drink, as alcohol is not permitted in the school compound.

The next morning we left for KL, managing to grab a lift off our rep who was going up for a meeting. We had been invited by our friends who we met on our first night in Malaysia. Dick Bryant is a friend of our rep, and is Tom's (above) dad. His wife Farida, is a Chinese Malaysian and has become our surrogate mum for our 8 months here! They were kind enough to welcome 8 volunteers into their house for 3 nights. Dick and Farida have been so kind to us and I am so thankful to have met them. They live in KL, but you really wouldnt think it was KL, as its pretty much sorrounded by trees/monkeys!

Our first outing in with the Bryants was to a nearby waterfall. We drove for ten minutes up some hill, and were then pointed in the direction to continue by foot. The path took us through (I wouldnt say it was a rainforest but something of the sort..) and was a beautiful walk. It was a perfect day for it - blue sky and sunshine. After an hour or so we reached the waterfall, stripped into our bikinis and all stuck our heads under! It was great fun, until the first leech made its entrance... I managed to leave leech free but I was definitely a lucky one. The technique we were advised to use to get them out was to burn the leech's bum with a cigarette.. very handy that there were a few smokers amongst the group! It was a great feeling when we got back to the car, and reminded me of all the walks I have done at home on the moors or along the coast. The evening that followed was spent watching movies, and eating Faridas fabulous food. Perfect!

The next day was Sunday - Chinese New Year's eve. I had expected KL to be mega busy, but it was actually the opposite! It appeared everyone had left the city to go home... We went to a reggae bar in China Town and the roads were just deserted. I was slightly disappointed, as I would love to have seen some dancing in the streets or fireworks. Still, we had a busy night meeting other travellers, and bartering with taxi drivers over their blatent addition of 'white tax' to their prices.

We caught a bus back to Batu Pahat the next day - a spacious, speedy bus that cost Rm20 (4 pounds). It drives right past our school when going into BP, which is great for us as we can just jump off on the way. Its a 3 hour drive from KL, so not too far. We didnt get back until about 9pm, and were welcomed back into our house by a menagerie of bugs.... Firstly: a HUGE cockroach in the shower, (which I screamed at and then managed to trap under a box and escort outside), and secondly: James the gheko - who is now my dear friend! He lives in my room, and eats all the flies for me. He's a gem, and has big eyes. We keep our distance though... slimey lizards things wouldnt be nice to stand on.

So we are back at school. The first formers arrived yesterday, and there were many tearful parents around. The new students all look mega nervous, so this week we are going to the hostels in the evenings to see them and cheer them up. 13 is quite a young age to leave your family - so I dont blame them for being upset! I'm sure they will settle in soon, and forget about their homesickness after they realise how busy they are going to be. Honestly, the students' school day here is crazy!

Me and Fiona have been decorating the languages board today. Lunch is in half an hour, and then I am gonna go home and sleep because Im really tired. I couldnt get to sleep last night as it was really hot and someone was watching TV really loudly in the flat above . Tomorrow we are off for the weekend with the languages department and all the 3rd formers - they have an English 'camp'. I have no idea where it is or what we are doing but it sounds fun! There must be at least 120 students going to it must be to a reasonably big location.

I have received 5 letters so far - really brightens up my day! They are very welcome (hint). Promise I will write back!! I hope everyone is well, and not too cold! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment