Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Pancake day, dance classes and activities week.

I am sorry (again) for not posting for a while. If Im totally honest the last few weeks have been quite difficult and I havent really felt like blogging! But here I am now.

Shrove Tuesday came, and thankfully Fiona's mum reminded us about pancakes! We were determined to find some flour, and were successful after asking in several shops in some dodgy Malay. I was often on pancake duty in the kitchen where I worked before leaving the UK, so I am quite fussy about mixture lumpiness these days! We used a wok and fork to make the mixture, and fried and flipped away! For main course we had baked bean, egg and cheese pancakes, and for pudding - jam, pineapple and kaya. They were yummy and soon I am going to invite some students over for a pancake night. Its really nice when the girls come over because they can take off their headscarves and we can see all their beautiful hair. Some of them want me to teach them how to do french plaits which will be nice.

I have started running a weekly dance class on wednesdays for the girls. We use benches, chairs and portable whiteboards as barres in a space on the third floor of the academic block. Its really good fun, and there is a lot of giggling. I have not danced properly since July, but surprisingly I can still remember the majority of exercises I used to do! I cant wait to join some dance societies at uni in September, and get back into it. I have so many good memories from my dance school, and as much as I was ready to leave I do miss spending my evenings there!

This week is the schools activities week, which thankfully has been a lot funner than the past couple of weeks! I have been finding school quite frustrating, and it is taking longer than I thought for everyone to get used to us, and what we are here for. I am often quite bored, which leaves me with time on my hands to think about home/other fun things I could be doing. It was always going to be a challenge being the first year of volunteers though. Still, I have drawn a line under the last few weeks and will come back after our week off with (I hope) a refreshed enthusiam to keep at it. I have found that whatever I feel is always to the extreme - I either have a really good day, or a really really bad day. Its almost like my emotions are amplified. I am learning so much everyday, even just from watching people. I have started making alot more effort to learn Malay too, which will come in very handy. Its a relativelty simple language actually, so fingers crossed in a month or so I will be cracking out some lines!

As I mentioned, next week is the school holidays. We are off to Langkawi, a popular island off the north west coast (north of Penang). I will treat myself to some snorkelling trips/shopping, as I havent really been spending much of my allowance. It will be great to have a small timeout from the school, as sometimes I do feel a bit stuck in the compound. Hopefully Langkawi will treat us to some beautiful beaches, and (tax-free) drunken evenings as we watch the sun set :)







No comments:

Post a Comment